2.The Secret Of Bearing Fruit Is Abiding
I. DISCERNING THE SECRET OF BEARING FRUIT
A. NOTICE HOW OFTEN AHAISHUA USES THE WORD "ABIDE"....
1. In ten verses, he uses the word ten times! - Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love
2. Why is this word mentioned over and over again? Because...
B. THE SECRET OF BEARING FRUIT IS ABIDING!
1. A branch does not bear fruit by struggling, but by abiding in the vine...
a. When you walk through a vineyard, do you detect tension and struggle among the branches as they bear fruit?
b. No! Instead there is a calm & confident resting - an abiding - as branches draw their life from the vine in order to bear fruit
2. In the beliver's life, we experience first a "union", then a"communion"...
a. When we become believers, there is first a "union" with Messiah
1) Paul describes this union as taking place in baptism -
Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Messiah have put on Messiah.; Romans 6:3-5 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Yehoshua Messiah were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Messiah was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
2) Having "put on Messiah" and being "united together" with Him, our union with Him is like that of a branch to a vine - John 15:5a I am the vine, ye are the branches:
b. As we "abide" in this union, we have "communion" or fellowship with Messiah in a very close and personal way - John 15:4a Abide in me, and I in you.
3. This "communion" or mutual abiding with the vine [Messiah] enables the branches [believers/ disciples] to bear fruit!
a. The branch receives from the vine the strength necessary to bear fruit; so the believer receives from Messiah strength
to do what he could not do on his own - John 15:4-5 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
b. Of the strength or power available to those in Messiah, Paul often wrote...
1) In his own life, and in the lives of others - Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things through Messiah which strengtheneth me.,
 But my Alohim shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Messiah Yehoshua.;
Colosians 1:29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.
2) He wanted others to know of the great power available to them -
Ephesians 1:18-20 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to usward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
 Which he wrought in Messiah, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,;
3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
3) He often gave examples of how this power could transform people:
a) the Corinthians - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of Elohim? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of Alohim. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Master Ahaishua, and by the Spirit of our Alohim.
b) even himself - 1 Timothy 1:12-16 And I thank Messiah Ahaishua our Master, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
 And the grace of our Master was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Messiah Ahaishua.
 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Ahaishua Messiah came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Ahaishua Messiah might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.;
1 Corinthians 15:9-10 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the assembly of Alohim. But by the grace of Elohim I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of elohim which was with me.
The secret of bearing fruit is abiding in Messiah and He in us. Through such communion and fellowship, we benefit from Messiah's strength so that we may be able to bear fruit and in turn experience the "abundant life."
Are we abiding in Messiah, and He in us? We need not be unsure, for there are several signs that will be manifest in our lives when we are abiding in Messiah.
II. EVIDENCES OF ABIDING IN MESSIAH
A. BEARING MUCH FRUIT - John 15:5b He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: .
1. This is the most obvious sign
2. When one is consistently bearing the sort of fruit described above, that is certainly good evidence of a close relationship with Messiah!
3. Whereas the lack of fruit can be an indication of one of three things...
a. Either there never was a "union" to begin with
b. Or there was a union, but "communion" is not taking place, leaving one in jeopardy of being "cut off"
c. Or there was a union but the branch has already been cut off!
B. THE FATHER'S PRUNING - John 15:2b and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
1. We should expect to see evidence of the Father's work in our lives, in which...
a. Things that would hinder us are being "cut away"
b. We are ever being developed so as to be more "fruitful"
2. One way that the Father does this is through the Word...
a. Notice John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. - in the Greek "clean" (katharos) is closely related to "prune" (kathairo)
b. The Word of Alohim can be a very powerful instrument in the hands of the Lord - Hebrews 4:12-13 For the word of Elohim is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.;
Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of Alohim:
c. As we read or hear it, it can expose us for what we really are, and when received properly, help us make great changes
James 1:22-25 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23: For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25: But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed
3. So if we are not constantly growing through the influence of the Word of Alohim, clearly we are not abiding in Messiah!
C. A GROWING SENSE OF DEPENDENCE - John 15:5c for without me ye can do nothing.
1. We will come to realize that apart from Messiah we can do nothing (of real, lasting value)
2. But those who abide in Messiah will become like Paul, who realized the true source of his strength: his union with Messiah! -
2 Corinthians 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of Elohim;
Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Messiah: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Messiah liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of Alohim, who loved me, and gave himself for me.;
Phillipians 4:15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.
D. OUR PRAYERS BEING ANSWERED - John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.,
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
1. As we abide in Messiah, we will find our prayers being answered
2. Of course, such answered prayers will depend upon several factors:
a. That we keep His commandments and do the things that please Him -
1 John 3:22 and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him.
b. That our requests be according to Ahaiah's will - 1 John 5:14 And this is the confidence which we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.
c. That our requests not be for selfish gain - James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
3. But one who abides in Messiah should be able to look back and see evidence of answered prayers (though not always answered in the way we expected)
E. LOVE FOR MESSIAH AND HIS PEOPLE - John 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
1. Since Alohim is love [1 Jn 4:8 He who does not love does not know Alohim; for Alohim is love.] and Messiah is Alohim [John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Alohim, and the Word was Alohim.],
those who abide in Alohim will abide in love - 1 John 4:7-8 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of Alohim, and he who loves is born of Alohim and knows Alohim.
8: He who does not love does not know Alohim; for Alohim is love.
2. Indeed, Messiah commands us to love one another - John 15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
3. And those who do not love the children of Alohim , have not known Elohim - 1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death.;
4:8 He who does not love does not know Alohim; for Alohim is love. ,
20-21 If any one says, "I love Alohim," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love Alohim whom he has not seen.
21: And this commandment we have from him, that he who loves Alohim should love his brother also.
F. AN INNER JOY - John 15:11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
1. Not the absence of trial or trouble, but a joy borne of the
assurance that Messiah has overcome the world, and that we can
also through Him - John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.;
Phillipians 4:4 Rejoice in Ahaiah alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
2. Indeed, one of the first visible signs of backsliding (of not abiding in Messiah) is the loss of joy, especially about things spiritual! - Psalm 32:1-3 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
 Blessed is the man unto whom Ahaiah imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.; 51:12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
1. These, then, are just a few of the evidences that we are abiding in Messiah...
a. Bearing much fruit
b. The Father's pruning
c. A growing sense of dependence
d. Our prayers being answered
e. Love for Ahaiah and His people
f. An inner joy
2. To be sure, not every believer who abides in Messiah will have ALL these blessings in the SAME DEGREE at the same time...
a. But they will be present in some measure, and they will be strong enough to be evident (to ourselves at least, if not always to others)
b. And they should always be INCREASING! - John 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.;
2 Peter 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Master Ahaishua Messiah.
3. It is good for us as branches to examine ourselves regularly to see
if we are truly abiding in Messiah - 2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Ahaishua Messiah is in you, except ye be reprobates?
a. For the secret of the abundant life is bearing fruit
b. And the secret of bearing fruit is abiding in Messiah
c. And so if we are not abiding in Messiah, we cannot enjoy the abundant life!
The secret to living is bearing fruit;
The secret to bearing fruit is abiding;
What is the secret of abiding in Messiah? How can we be sure to have access to the strength that Jesus provides?